Rams travel to Albuquerque

Authors: Travis Todd

CSU softball is going on the road to take on New Mexico this Saturday at 1 p.m.

The Rams (7-36, 0-8 MWC) and Lobos (17-21, 3-5 MWC) met two times at Ram Field two weeks ago. New Mexico beat CSU in both games, outscoring the Rams by a combined 32-11. The Rams struggled mightily in the pitching circle, surrendering 20 walks to the Lobos.

New Mexico comes into the game riding a four-game losing streak, after playing Utah and BYU last weekend. New Mexico is led by catcher Jessica Garcia, who is batting .424 on the season to go along with a team-leading 10 home runs.

The Lobos offense also features Stefanie Carramusa who won MWC co-player of the week honors last week. Carramusa went 4-for-7 with two home runs and six RBI in the two games against the Rams.

CSU is still searching for its first win in conference play, but the Rams know what to expect from New Mexico, having played them so recently.

“We’ve scouted them, we’ve watched film from the previous time and we’re trying to prepare our kids as best we can,” said head coach Jen Fisher. “I think they do have a little bit better idea and watching film I think they know what they’re looking for.”

Freshman Morghan Doughty believes she is beginning to get a better grasp of what the coaches are teaching.

“We’ve been through almost a whole year with her (Fisher) so it’s the same stuff every day, and we pretty much know what we’re supposed to do,” Doughty said.

Doughty has made a smooth transition coming into the college game with the help of her coach. “I would definitely give (Coach Fisher) the credit, she’s taught me a lot,” said Doughty, who is in the top three of almost every major offensive category for the Rams. “I used to be a slapper and now I hit away, so I definitely have to give her the credit.”

Fisher believes it is a testament to the team, who has maintained a good mindset throughout the season although the Rams continue to come out on the wrong side of the score sheet.

“I think we’ve had our share of frustrations, you know I mean I’d be lying if I said they weren’t frustrated,” Fisher said. “They have the exact balance of, yeah they’re mad they’re frustrated, but yet they come back and work hard at practice and they’re still focused on getting better.”

CSU comes back home to play at Ram Field next Monday for a non-conference doubleheader against Portland State.

_Softball Beat Reporter Travis Todd can be reached at sports@collegian.com. _