Authors: Andrew Schaller

Following an impressive showing at the Jack Christiansen Invitational last weekend, the CSU track and field team will look to continue their success in Laramie, Wyo. this weekend.

The Rams notched six first-place finishes last weekend behind a big day from freshman Graham Gilliland, who set personal records in two different events. Gilliland won the triple jump (48 feet, 11 inches) and finished second in the long jump (22 -11.25).

“(Gilliland) had just a huge day with two personal records,” said head coach Brian Bedard. “Coach Cawley has been talking him up in practice the past few weeks, but to see it finally come together in competition is great.”

The infusion of youth on the Rams squad has provided a large boost for the entire team. They received first-place finishes from freshmen Seth Butler in the 800-meter run (1:51.25), and Jessica Sharbono in the women’s discus throw (154-10).

In the women’s track events, sophomore Hannah Pensack-Rinehart took first-place in the 5,000-meter run (18:02.16). Junior Nicole Peters also had a great day, finishing first in the 3,000-meter steeple chase (11:03.73).

Senior Tyson Williams, who started the day off with a win for CSU last weekend in the shot put (57-03), will aim to get the Rams off to a fast start again next weekend.

The Rams will look to continue their strong start with the upcoming trip to Laramie on Saturday at the annual Front Range Classic, followed by the Front Range Championships on Sunday at Jack Christiansen track at CSU.

The event will feature five teams from the Ram’s region including CU, Air Force, Northern Colorado and Wyoming. The events will only allow participants from the five schools, so there will be no unattached athletes permitted to compete in any of the events.

The exclusion of unattached athletes may bode well for the Rams, particularly Cameron Carter, who finished third in the men’s discus throw (178-07) behind two unattached Olympian athletes last weekend.

“It’s tough for Cameron,” Bedard said. “With two multi-Americans and Olympians in front of him. Being the first collegiate athlete is good, but he gets overshadowed.”

The Rams are currently ranked 112 in the NCAA Division-1 track and field rankings from this week, and will be aiming to accrue more points, and move up the rankings this weekend.

Track and Field Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.