Authors: Anna Baldwin

Internationally recognized ensemble Brigham Young University Singers will join the CSU Chamber Choir and Rocky Mountain High School Singers at 7 p.m. tonight at the University Center for the Arts.

The BYU singers are featured performers at the 2011 American Choral Directors Association National Conference. The choir is under the direction of Ron Staheli.

“CSU is extremely honored to host [BYU] in our concert hall,” James Kim, director of choral activities at CSU, said.
This is one stop of about 10 for a multiple-state tour for the BYU Singers. The group has previously performed all over the world.

The CSU Chamber Choir will perform with the two guest groups under the direction of Kim.

The Chamber Choir is the top university choral ensemble with an audition-only basis.The first piece from CSU is a 20-minute song with five movements composed by Morten Lauridsen.

The second piece performed by the chamber choir is a spiritual song. Kim describes it as “short, fast-paced and loud. It’s a closer.”

The RMHS Singers group is under the direction of Timothy Jon Tharaldson.

“RMHS is a very good high school program,” Kim said. “I think very highly of them.”

Each choir will perform pieces individually with all three groups joining at the end for a grand finale performance.

The final song, “Rest,” is composed by Tharaldson.

“I think that audiences will love the program,” said Kim. “It gives us a lot of variety.”

Staff writer Anna Baldwin can be reached at verve@collegian.com.