Apr 282011
 
Authors: Courtney Riley

A malfunctioning light may be the cause of an evacuation of Parmelee Hall last night, according to Dell Rae Moellenberg, CSU Police’s public information officer.

She said the light overheated, smoked or somehow triggered the sprinkler system in of the rooms on the southeast side of the second floor, also setting off the fire alarms.

“I thought it was just a drill at first,” said Ashley Wengrove, a freshman microbiology major who was woken by the fire alarms at 10:45 p.m. Wednesday.

Poudre Fire Authority and CSUPD shut off the sprinkler system when they arrived at the scene.

“It is my understanding that although the water from the sprinkler system impacted several rooms, the result was mostly limited to wet carpets,” Moellenberg said. “The room where the sprinkler system activated and a room below it were impacted more.”

CSU staff members cleaned up the area after it was cleared by PFA and CSUPD.

Students who were displaced were provided temporary rooms by CSU Housing and Dining Services staff.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Courtney Riley can be reached at news@collegian.com.

 Posted by at 4:42 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.