An Old Town craft

Authors: Chadwick Bowman

Steve Jones, a young brewer in Fort Collins, is a product of the Liquid Poets Society, a home-brewers organization for everything craft beer.

And his new family brewery, Pateros Creek Brewery, is the youngest of the microbreweries in Fort Collins, situated in north Old Town.

“I want to brew sit-on-the-front-porch kind of beers … we want to redefine the way people think of craft brew,” Jones said. “We’re trying to add to the culture that way.”

Jones said his is the fourth brewery to have a foundation within LPS, along with Funkwerks Brewery, Equinox Brewing Co. and Grimm Brothers Brewhouse in Loveland.

Brian Thompson, president of LPS, says he is confident in Jones.

“Steve is a great guy with a long history in the Liquid Poets, and I can see him doing very well with Pateros Creek,” Thompson said in an email.

Pateros Creek Brewery, which will have a full tap room, is under construction and is set to open in late May or early June. They have been brewing three beers contracting with Grimm Brothers which are available today –– the Simulator Pale Ale, Old Town Ale and the Cache La Porter, names inspired by Fort Collins.

The brews are currently on tap at a variety of Fort Collins restaurants and bars including Taps Sports Bar and Grill, Steak-Out Saloon and Cafe Vino among others.

“The Cache la Porter is a really hot seller,” said Phil Linkdorst, a manager at Steak-Out Saloon. “The brewery seems to be under the radar, but people enjoy the beers.”

Mark Havens, the general manager at Cafe Vino, said he is happy to have Pateros Creek on tap and said that it increases the beer culture in town.

“We’re happy to support the local guy, especially the little local guy,” Havens said. “The beer is great and their names alone provide a lot of talking points among customers.”

Jones said Pateros Creek, which was once Horsetooth Brewery, has its name because it fits with their historical, frontier vibe. Pateros Creek is believed to have been the original name of the Poudre River.

Jones, plenty familiar with the town’s history, growing up in Fort Collins, joined the Army out of high school. He was stationed in Germany where he says he developed a love for craft beer. After returning, he attended CSU, earned a computer science degree and graduated in 2004.

His wife of seven years provided inspiration, getting him his first home-brew kit. He says that he “got a little out-of-control,” and on days there were 11 or 12 kegs sitting around with a variety of different beers.

Jones said he is grateful for support from the other brewers in town and was pleased to be one of nine other brewers in town to have collaborated on a honorary American Craft Beer Week beer, which will be available May 16.

Jones said that even though there is a strong craft beer presence in Fort Collins, he hopes to be able to provide new beer for those people looking for something different.

“We’re doing things a little bit differently, we’re a grassroots effort here. Maybe we can be inspiration for younger brewers to so as well,” he said.

For more information visit www.pateroscreekbrewing.com, or follow them on Twitter @paterosbrew.

Editorial Editor Chadwick Bowman can be reached at letters@collegian.com.