Finally, a good idea, GOP

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Great Scott, the GOP is doing something useful with its time and actually has a good idea! In a revolutionary move, the GOP has proposed a budget that would subsidize Medicare and transfer responsibility of Medicaid to the states.

Pitched by Rep. Paul Ryan (R–Wis.), the plan would require the government to subsidize health costs, instead of paying them directly as it does now under current Medicare regulation.
Medicaid and Medicare are two programs using up the majority of the nation’s budget. The others are social security and the Department of Defense.

Republicans have been traveling the nation to attend town hall meetings where some are furious over the proposed budget. There has been fierce resistance from Florida, the land of the retired.

But it’s time people face reality and come to terms with the fact that the only way to lower the deficit and ensure our generation hasn’t succumbed to surviving in a bankrupt nation is to reform programs like Medicaid and Medicare.

Luckily, a Gallup poll released Wednesday morning shows that 43 percent of the nation approves of the GOP’s proposed budget.

We’re happy to know that at least half of the conservatives are paying attention to real issues like the budget; unlike the other half that’s busy celebrating President Obama’s release of a copy of his birth certificate.