Authors: Courtney Riley

The Associated Students of CSU unanimously voted on legislation Wednesday night that lowered the amount of money student organizations may receive from the Student Funding Board from $20,000 to $15,000.

The legislation goes into effect in the 2011-12 academic year.

“I think that was a poor move on Senate’s part,” ASCSU president-elect Eric Berlinberg said. “I think there should have been a clause that had the start date be sometime later than the fall.”
Senate also voted on the Long Bill for a second time –– due to procedural rules –– passing it in a 16-6-5 vote.

“It’s a good feeling knowing it’s going to get done for sure,” ASCSU President Cooper Anderson said.

The Long Bill –– the proposed student fee increase package –– includes two increases in student fees. One is a sexual assault fee of $4 that will create a new position for a male ally in the Women and Gender Advocacy Center, as well as promote sexual assault education and awareness. The other is a Lory Student Center fee of $70 that will fund the renovations of the student center.

Josh Shaughnessy, a senator for the College of Business, was one of six senators who voted against the fee package.

“I wasn’t satisfied with the amount of facts provided for the justification,” he said.

He also said that students he talked to in the College of Business seemed fairly split between supporting and opposing the bill, and other College of Business senators were voting yes.

“The students who weren’t in favor of it needed a voice, too,” he said.

_ASCSU Beat Reporter Courtney Riley can be reached at news@collegian.com. _