Authors: Erin Udell

Bernard Rollin, a philosopher, animal rights activist and University Distinguished
Professor, began his career at CSU in the mid-1970s, dedicating more than 40 years of his life to the university and its people.

And on Tuesday afternoon the university celebrated Rollin along with 41 other honorees during the Celebrate! Colorado State Awards, an annual ceremony that recognizes members of the CSU community — including academic faculty, administrative professionals, classified staff and students.

“It’s an opportunity to acknowledge the hard work people do and to celebrate it,” said Vice President of Student Affairs Blanche Hughes, who helped present awards during the ceremony. “We’re here to celebrate and honor members of our community who have gone above and beyond.”

The presentation, which drew in almost 300 people, was part of Celebrate! Colorado State, an annual series of events that aims to recognize achievements across campus in the past year.

The ceremony featured more than 16 awards dedicated to excellence in advising, innovation and undergraduate teaching.

Loren Funk, an assistant professor in the Department of Construction Management, was honored with the Instructional Innovation in Service-Learning Award for his work in directing CM Cares, a service program that involves students in community service construction projects.

The program –– sponsored by the Department of Construction Management –– has helped complete five projects in its first semester on campus, including a home expansion for a woman who was caring for several special needs children in her one-bedroom house.

“It feels almost a little embarrassing,” Funk said about receiving the award. “I work with such a great team of people that it should really be a team award.”

The ceremony marked the end of months of peer and student nominations, as well as committee meetings to determine each award recipient.

“This is a celebration of CSU and its people,” said Auli Summerhays, assistant director of CSU Events. “It celebrates the best and the brightest on campus.”

This year also marked the anniversary of the University Distinguished Professor title, an honor that was created 25 years ago as one of the highest recognitions awarded by CSU.

One of two plaques created for the anniversary was revealed at the ceremony, complete with the names of the 31 distinguished professors — including one of the 14 active members, Bernard Rollin.

“It’s a very meaningful honor,” Rollin said, adding that working at CSU was his first job after earning his Ph.D from Columbia University in 1972. “I’m very proud of this.”

Senior Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.