Community Briefs for 4/26

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

*Rams to make the Chevy Malibu a little greener
*
CSU students will spend the next three years reengineering General Motors’ Chevrolet Malibu at the Engineering Research Center and Engines and Energy Conversion Laboratory for the EcoCAR Competition.
The three-year collegiate competition will require teams to convert the Malibu into a hybrid/electric fuel-cell vehicle to reduce its environmental impact without compromising the performance, safety and consumer acceptability of the vehicle, according to a press release.
Students will spend the first year developing the vehicle’s design. The second and third years will be spent testing, integrating and converting the designs, followed by a week-long competition of engineering tests.
CSU’s engines lab is one of 16 national teams selected for the competition.

Event to celebrate cutting-edge scientific research and collaboration

CSU and the National Ecological Observatory Network are hosting an event Thursday to celebrate cutting-edge scientific research and collaboration.
The event will take place on a farm located just outside of Sterling. It will feature a research showcase and a public discussion about CSU and NEON projects in the area.

Celebrate! CSU Awards announced

The Celebrate! CSU Awards that celebrate teaching, research and service achievements of CSU’s faculty, administrative professionals and students will take place today in the Main Ballroom at 3 p.m.
A reception will follow the event. For more information contact The Office of CSU Events at csuevents@colostate.edu or 970-491-4601.

*Looking at turmoil in North Africa and the Middle East
*
“Teach-In: The Turmoil in North Africa and the Middle East” is being presented in the TILT Building, room 221 at 7 tonight.
It will consists of half-hour segments from experts on the Middle East, including topics like the background on Middle Eastern tensions, the role of media in shaping our perceptions and first-hand accounts from students.
The event is sponsored by the Peace and Reconciliation Studies Board. For more information contact William Timpson at 970-491-7630.