Community Briefs for 4/25

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

College of Business to Host Women Entrepreneurs’ Summit

The CSU College of Business will host the Women Entrepreneurs’ Leadership Summit this Wednesday, April 27, featuring notable entrepreneurs in the region.

The event runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m with a networking reception from 5 to 7 p.m. and is open to the public with a $45 registration fee, which includes a luncheon. It will blend entrepreneurs, executives and business leaders like Kim Jordan, founder and CEO of New Belgium Brewery, Lori Burge, CEO of Colorado CustomWare, Wynne O’Dell, CEO of O’Dell Brewery and Doug O’dell, founder of O’Dell Brewery with students faculty and administration from CSU.

Summit discussions will include:

• The Rise of the Social Entrepreneur
  • The Boy’s Club and the Missing Girl’s Club
  • Creating Successful Business Partnerships
  • Funding the Female-run Company
  • The Business of Politics
  • Communication Messages and the Role Gender Plays

Sponsors for the event include KUNC, New Belgium Brewery, O’Dell brewery, KRFC, Rainbow Restaurant and the Fort Collins Chamber of Commerce.

CSU releases “Best of” 2010 annual flower trial results

In an effort to aid homeowners and commercial growing operations, CSU has announced the 2010 results of its annual flower trials from the 26 seed and vegetative companies who participated.

Judging was held on Aug. 9, 2010 and again on Sept. 8, 2010 in the Flower Trial Gardens at 1401 Remington St. in Fort Collins. There were more than 1,100 varieties of annuals that were given trial plantings in ground beds or in the about 600 containers in the gardens.

The garden is managed by CSU’s Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture in cooperation with a committee of local growers, bedding plant personnel and public garden horticulturalists.

Best of Show went to Denver Daisy from Benary Seed, Best New Variety went to Graceful Glasses Vertigo from Proven Winners and Best Novelty went to Yellow Compact from Grolink Plant Company, according to a press release.

Thirty-one varieties of bedding plants earned a “best” in their categories, and one plant earned a “superior” rating.

For complete listings, descriptions and photos, interested individuals can go to www.flowertrials.colostate.edu. Most of the winning plants will e available at local nurseries or garden centers for this growing season.

Celebrate! Colorado State Awards tomorrow

The top university awards celebrating teaching, research and service achievements of CSU faculty, administrative professionals, classified staff and students will be announced tomorrow in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

The annual Celebrate! Colorado State Awards event begins at 3 p.m. with a reception following the ceremony.