Authors: Jason Berlinberg

A man and a woman meet in an antique art shop in the remote countryside of Tuscany. The man (William Shimell) is an art historian looking for someone to show him around town; the woman (Juliette Binoche) is an art collector who eagerly volunteers to show him around.

They immediately establish a flirtatious relationship while wandering through Italian churches and cafes, enough for a woman to mistake them for an actual married couple.

Instead of simply denying the woman’s fault, the two play along and go as far as creating memories in their relationship that did not actually happen. But is there more to their past then the pair are letting on?
Filled with symbolism and advanced camera techniques galore, “Certified Copy” appeals to the art admirer rather than the mainstream moviegoer. If you enjoy noticing when characters are shot through a mirror or a window and proceed to wonder what the director is trying to achieve through this method, this movie is for you.

Included in the film’s symbolism is the idea alluded to by the title itself. Which copy of the pair’s relationship is the legitimate one?
The actors do a brilliant job keeping the answer locked up throughout the entire movie, quarreling one minute then acting like strangers the next.

This is compounded by the fact that Shimell’s art collector frequently addresses the idea of authenticity and fakery in art, questioning whether a replica is worth just as much to the unsuspecting viewer.

Although its story will most likely bore the mass-market audience, the mind games and sheer beauty of “Certified Copy” make it a genuine work of art for those willing to seek it out.

Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com and can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonberlinberg.