Buffs puff for 4/20 party

Authors: Erin Udell

CU-Boulder student Jenn Adams was looking through the glass doors of Boulder’s Colorado Bookstore where she works when she saw a woman approach a squirrel, pick it up and start cradling it in her arms.

“Yeah, 4/20 brings in some really weird people,” Adams said. “There was also this guy in a leather vest that came in really messed up wanting to buy balloons –– we don’t sell balloons.”

Boulder is home to one of the largest April 20 celebrations in the country where thousands of people gather to consume cannabis together, often in hopes of the eventual legalization of marijuana. 

And despite the cloudy and cold weather, thousands of devoted observance-goers came out on Wednesday to celebrate in the University of Colorado’s Norlin Library quad, which was standing room only by 4 p.m.

“Last year we had close to 10,000 people,” said CU student Damian McDonald. “This year I heard we were expecting a lot more.”
 The annual event often presents challenges for the university’s police force, said University of Colorado Police Commander Tim McGraw.

“It’s illegal but frankly there isn’t a whole lot we can do about it when 10,000 people show up,” McGraw said. “Logistically, there are days where you have to let discretion get the better part of valor.”

McGraw also stated that while there were citations issued for marijuana possession and other offenses, the police are more focused on safety instead of enforcement during the holiday. 

For Mike Anderegg, a Boulder resident and two-year employee of Cheba Hut, a sandwich shop located on “The Hill,” 4/20 is the restaurant’s busiest day of the year.

“We generally have a line out the door before noon,” Anderegg said, adding that they see close to 1,000 customers over the course of the day.

Boulder is one of several places across the United States that holds infamous pot-smoking observances, including Tallahassee, Fla., San Francisco and San Cruz, Calif., the very place where the term “4/20” came to be.

“I mean, it does bring in a lot of people (to Boulder), which can’t be bad for the businesses,” Adams said. “There are so many food places on “The Hill” that probably benefit. People even sell t-shirts for this. It’s crazy.”

Senior Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.