Authors: Travis Todd

The CSU softball team picked up yet another loss on Wednesday night, dropping a lopsided decision to in-state rival University of Northern Colorado at Ram Field.

The meeting was the last of four between the two teams and left the season series tied 2-2. The loss left the Rams (7-31, 0-3 MWC) with plenty of questions unanswered.

“Just a lot of frustration, but you know, I think I can see it on their faces (the players) they don’t like to lose any more than I do,” said head coach Jen Fisher. “I think we’ll see a good couple days of practice out of them and just working hard.”

UNC broke the game wide open with a six-run fourth inning, all of the runs were unearned due to three errors for the Rams defensively. Defensive mishaps have cost the Rams mightily this season.

“We’ve got to make those plays on defense,” Fisher said. “We’ve got to get better, we have freshman playing beneath themselves, we’ve got seniors playing beneath themselves and that’s basically nobody’s fault but the coaches, we have to push them harder and make the plays.”

Senior Caitlan Stem was the lone bright spot on offense for the Rams. Stem accounted for two of the team’s six total hits and scored the only run of the game when she hit a solo homerun in the third.

“When we started with that UNC game into conference play I felt that I’ve adjusted much better,” said Stem. “I’ve been the leader that I want to be for this team, it’s still been hard but it is what it is, we’ve got to keep working and we can’t quit.”

Stem, along with Fisher, believes there is something to be learned from losing, but the team can’t allow itself to begin expecting defeat.

“The big thing we need to harp on, is we can’t get used to losing, we can’t train ourselves to become numb to it and find a way to not let it hurt anymore, we need to let it hurt,” Stem said.

Fisher has been happy with players stepping up from time to time but knows that everyone must play her best if the team wants to win on a consistent basis.

“The sign of a great team is everybody bringing their ‘A’ game all the time and that is where we need to get,” said Fisher.

CSU prepares to host New Mexico for a two-game set this weekend. First pitch on Saturday and Sunday is set for 1 p.m.

Softball Beat Reporter Travis Todd can be reached at sports@collegian.com.