Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Golf is traditionally seen as a solitary game, but the CSU women’s golf team will try and defy that notion at the Mountain West Conference Championship tournament, which starts this morning in Phoenix, Ariz.

The teams will play a total of three rounds totaling 54 holes. CSU plays in the third group with Texas Christian University and San Diego State University.

Both team and individual championships are awarded at the event. The individual golfer with the lowest cumulative score through the three days of play will win the individual title, as is the case with most other golf tournaments like the Masters and U.S. Open. For the team title, the top four scores for each team are added up every day, and the team with the lowest total at the end of the event is deemed the winner.

Last season the Rams finished third and qualified for the NCAA tournament before finishing 15th in the West Regional.

“We know that anything can happen in golf,” head coach Angie Hopkins said, “and we have to win here to go to regionals, so we just have to go in and play to win.”

The Rams enter the championships after struggling in their last tournament, finishing in last place at the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate in Half Moon Bay, Calif. CSU shot a 937 as a team, 73 strokes over par. Oregon won the event by shooting 891 over the weekend, only 27 strokes above par.

“You just never know with young people,” Hopkins said. Of the seven members of CSU’s golf team, six are underclassmen.

“We played on a really tough course with really tough competition,” sophomore Emily Roering said of last weekend’s struggles. “I think that helps in terms of our confidence and we know we have to play to their level and hopefully we can do that (at the conference tournament).”

The tournament will be held at the Wigwam Resort, located 20 miles outside of Phoenix. Teams will play the Red Heritage course, which totals 5,806 yards. Wigwam Resort’s website describes the course as “(having) generous fairways and greens, yet its finishing stretch is as tough as any –– a certain test for anyone.”

Junior Brianna Espinoza, an Arizona native, has played the course before and described it as favorable.

“A lot of the players out there will definitely go low (with their scores),” she said. “I think we have a good chance of playing well and putting up some good scores on it.”

Women’s Golf Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Roster and Tee Times

Thursday

• Cecile Krefting, sophomore, 8:30 a.m.
  • Sarah Roering, freshman, 8:39 a.m.
  • Emily Roering, sophomore, 8:48 a.m.
  • Betsy Kelly, freshman, 8:57 a.m.
  • Brianna Espinoza, junior, 9:06 a.m.