Community Briefs for 4/12

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Poudre Fire Chief Retiring

The long-time Poudre Fire Authority Chief John Mulligan has announced his retirement.

Mulligan was a firefighter for more than 44 years starting in California. He has been fire chief in Fort Collins since 1977.

“I enjoyed my tenure here at PFA and am thankful to have worked with a great group of firefighters and chief officers,” Mulligan said in a press release.

Chief Mulligan said he will continue to live in Fort Collins and will do a “significant amount of travel.”

A PFA replacement is yet to be named.

Former CSU Ram accepted in Colorado Sports Hall of Fame

Kelli McGregor, who passed away unexpectedly in April 2010, was an All-American football player and went on to become president of the Colorado Rockies.

He was inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame Tuesday night at the Denver Marriott City Center.

McGregor played tight end for the Rams and graduated in 1984 with a degree in microbiology.

CSU volleyball player Daniel Minch was also honored at banquet. She was named Colorado’s female college athlete of the year.

Consideration of water sharing recommendations

The Western States Water council, which consists of 18 western Governors water policy arm, will review new recommendations brought to them by western water leaders from the agriculture, environmental and urban interests.

CSU Colorado Water Institute will host the meeting and develop a report in response to a 2008 concern raised by western governors.

“While these strategies sound like good common sense, they all face sizable obstacles,” said Reagan Waskom, director of the Colorado Water Institute. “If we want to share water for the benefit of all, we need a lot more flexibility, all members of the group agreed.”