Authors: Cameron Tafoya

The CSU Police Department is cracking down on transportation on campus with new signage for dismount zones.
Students and staff have noticed that bicyclists, skateboarders and people on rollerblades have not been observing the “dismount zone” signs painted on the ground.

“A lot of time, in congested areas, bicycles and pedestrians don’t mix,” said Lieutenant Chris Wolf, the police administrator for CSUPD.
In light of recent complaints from students who have almost been run down by eager students on their way to class, the CSUPD decided to label the “dismount zone” signage more clearly.

With the new signs –– which are posted above the ground with pictures of a bike, skateboard and rollerblades –– in place across campus, people can now clearly see where the dismount zones start and end. The new signs clearly show what forms of transportation is not permitted and the hours that the law is in effect.

Joy Childress, an administrative assistant for CSUPD, understands that many students thought the dismount zones were just for bikes but since the student population is growing, different modes of transportation have gained popularity on campus.

“We are seeing a lot more skateboarders on campus,” Childress said. “The new signage was mainly to focus to let the skateboards know that they also need to dismount in those zones.”

Since the implementation of the new signs, the number of tickets given to students who do not obey the dismount zones has decreased from 139 tickets issued in 2008 to only 62 in 2010.

“I have been more aware of the dismount zones,” said Austin Campbell, a freshman health and exercise sciences major.
But what happens if a student doesn’t follow the rules and gets a ticket?

CSUPD’s main goal is to help educate students on bike and transportation safety.

The fine for not following the dismount zone is $25, but there is a way to lower the price.

CSU offers a program called BEEP, Bicycle Education and Enforcement Program; this program provides education on the rules and regulations for bicycles and skateboards.

Going through BEEP cuts the cost of a ticket in half and help violators gain knowledge in bike and traffic safety.

Staff writer Cameron Tafoya can be reached at news@collegian.com.