Authors: Kyle Grabowski

In spite of wind and rain on an unusually cold day, the CSU track and field team had a strong showing at the Sun Angel Classic at Arizona State University.

The Rams collected 16 top-ten finishes across two days of competition, highlighted by senior Cameron Carter’s second-place finish in the discus competition.

“The conditions were not very good,” head coach Brian Bedard said. “Throwing on a wet circle and having to deal with those cold conditions and a wet throwing circle, I think (Carter) competed very well.”

Bedard estimated the temperature was around 48 degrees with a slight drizzle of rain at the time of Carter’s throw.

Carter’s throw of 175 feet, 1 inch landed just four inches behind Tim Nedow of DePaul University, the event’s winner.

The temperature in Tempe reached a high of 53 degrees Saturday, 30 degrees below average for this time of year, while it rained just over a half-inch in the morning.

“It was more of a toughness training deal than having the ability to reach personal bests,” Bedard said.

Sprinters and hurdlers had to deal with rain on the track in addition to running into a headwind, which can drastically slow down runners.

“It is what it is,” Bedard said of the conditions. “You still have to compete with it and do the best you can.”

Senior Josh Murphy took seventh place in the 200-meter dash, finishing third in his heat and just two-hundredths of a second in front of Air Force’s Anthony Delgado in the final standings.

Juniors Kenisha Throughsingh and Serena Johnson finished 7th and 9th, respectively, in the women’s hammer throw.

Competing in her first Sun Angel Classic, freshman Marissa Smith ran a 59.82 in the 400-meter dash, good for 9th place.

Ryan Wasilawaski continued his strong start to the outdoor season, finishing fifth in the triple jump and ninth in the long jump with a season-best leap of 23 feet.

“It was a lot of competition and not a whole lot of sleep,” Bedard said. “I was really proud of the throws crew because we had a lot of individual personal records. I’m really excited for the direction they’re going.”

Track and Field Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.