Authors: Jason Berlinberg

“Hanna,” a slick mashup action film from “Pride and Prejudice” director Joe Wright has the feel of a classic cat-and-mouse-chase movie with the trimmings of a distinct presentational style.

The film stars Saoirse Ronan as the titular character bred by her father (Eric Bana) as a child super soldier. Hanna lives an isolated life physically and mentally training herself for whatever might happen to come her way.

Marissa (Cate Blanchette) hunts the pair down, perhaps due to something that occurred between all of them in the past.

Out on the run by herself, Hanna must resort to primal instincts in order to survive unknown situations — something pegged perfectly by the movie’s tagline “adapt or die.”

A neo-electronic musical score composed by The Chemical Brothers augments this already primitive mindset of the movie while at the same time establishing something fresh for the genre.

Through this pulsing soundtrack and Wright’s visual aptitude, “Hanna” establishes a level of production values that is rarely reached in the industry today.

However, what it possesses in technical tenacity it lacks in plot development. The dynamic beginning of the film slowly deteriorates into a disarranged attempt at a coming-of-age story.

Wright should have maintained what works in the film, his interpretation of the frenzied nature of the human need for survival.

Nevertheless, “Hanna” succeeds on a much higher level than a majority of other movies in the insipid action genre.

Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com and can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonberlinberg.