Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU alumni Martin Laird has a lot of firsts under his belt.
He is the first CSU player to qualify for the PGA Tour., the first from CSU to win a PGA Tour event, the first Ram to qualify for the British Open, and the first to qualify for the PGA Championship.

This weekend, the former business administration major was the first member of the Green and Gold to play in the Masters, tying for 20th in the golf world’s most prestigious tournament.
Laird came in three-under par overall in the four-day tournament, carding a 73 on Sunday. Laird bogeyed holes 1, 5, 10, and 12, and birdied on 2, 11 and 15.

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday he scored 74, 69 and 69, respectively. Only once did Laird log a double bogey, taking a 5 on Augusta National Golf Club’s shortest par-three, Golden Bell.

There was a four-way tie for 20th between Laird, Japan’s Ryo Ishikawa, America’s Ricky Barnes and Y.E. Yang, of Jeju-do, South Korea.

Charl Schwartzel, of Johannesburg, South Africa, rallied to win the 2011 Masters, finishing at 14-under par for the tournament. Schwartzel edged Jason Day and Adam Scott, who tied for second at 12-under par. On Sunday he shot a six-under 66, preceded by a 69, 71 and 68, on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, respectively.

After turning pro in 2002, Schwartzel has pocketed more than $9.8 million. Coming into the weekend, he had earned $326,104 in 2011. Before Sunday, his best was a 14th-place finish in The Honda Classic.

Tiger Woods, Geoff Ogilvy and Luke Donald tied for fourth.