Community Briefs for 4/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Condi tickets sold out

Tickets for Condoleeza Rice’s April 19 address are sold out, and ticket reservations have been suspended.
More than 8,000 tickets have been reserved since March 24, when tickets for her speech in Moby Arena were made available to the public.

According to a press release, additional seating may be made available the night of the event, so those interested in trying to get a seat can wait outside Moby Arena for available seats. The line will begin forming at 5 p.m., and if seats become available seating will begin at 6:50 p.m.

There is no waiting list. Tickets are free but required for admission.

Seven new plants selected for 2011

Plants Select, a collaborative effort between CSU, Denver Botanic Gardens and regional and national horticultural professionals announced seven new plants best suited for landscapes in Colorado including the high plains and intermountain region.

The mission of Plant Select is to seek out and distribute the best plants for those landscapes. To be included plants should be able to thrive in the region, be resilient to the region’s diverse climate, demonstrate disease and insect resistance, flourish in low water conditions and ensure noninvasiveness, among other things.

The 2011 plants are:
The Colorado desert blue star,
Blonde Ambition blue grama grass,
Golden Storksbill,
Avalanche white sun daisy,
Grand Mesa beardtongue,
Baby bluerabbitbrush and
Russian hawthorn.

CSU climate scientist wins water award

On Friday, CSU’s Nolan Doesken, state climatologist and founder of the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network based at CSU, received the 2011 President’s Award from the Colorado Foundation for Water Education.

According to a press release, Doesken received the award to recognize his advancement of the understanding of Colorado’s climate and water resources.

Doesken founded the CoCoRaHS as a small, local volunteer precipitation-monitoring program in Fort Collins following a major storm in 1997 that caused devastating flooding in the city. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association awarded the CoCoRaHS an Environmental Literacy grant in 2006 to push to expand national. Since then, it’s grown to include nearly 15,000 nationwide volunteers.