On the road again

Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Following a strong home-opening performance at the Fum McGraw Triangular last weekend, the CSU track team will hit the road once again this coming weekend.

Roughly half the team will head to Tempe, Ariz. to compete in the Sun Angel Classic, while the rest will make the short trip to Boulder for the Colorado Invitational.

The Sun Angel Classic has been held annually since 1980 and typically draws a high level of competition from around the nation.

“It’s an eye-opening experience for some of our younger athletes and they can see what high-level competition is all about and get used to that,” head coach Brian Bedard said.

Freshman jumps specialist Amy Medina is traveling to her first Sun Angel Classic following a strong start to the season in which she tied for first place in the high jump at last weekend’s Fum McGraw Triangular. Medina said she feels more comfortable in the outdoor season,having never competed indoors during high school.

Even with the focus in Arizona, a sizeable portion of the team will go to Boulder, where the University of Colorado will be hosting its second meet of the outdoor season.

“A lot of those athletes are going to be more developmental athletes still,” Bedard said. “So it’s just going to be another opportunity to compete, another opportunity to learn.”

The Rams performed well at the Potts Invitational early in the season, despite only having a partial team due to the meet occurring during CSU’s spring break.

While the Rams have enjoyed wonderful weather so far this season, forecasts are looking slightly questionable for this weekend.

The Weather Channel’s website predicts temperatures will be in the low-to-mid 60s in Tempe with possible thunderstorms on Saturday, when most of the events will be contested. Boulder has a high of 61 degrees with a low of 39 and a 30 percent chance of rain.

“It’s kind of odd because we’re expecting similar weather in both places,” Bedard said.

Track and Field Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.