Community Briefs for 04/08

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Celebrating school spirit and awareness

The colors, memories, rivalries and awareness will be out in full force today as College In Colorado celebrates College Friday and encourages students and families to wear their school colors.

College Friday, which was launched in 2006, is celebrated in order to show the importance of higher education.

Qdoba and Cold Stone Creamery are offering giveaways to anyone who participates in College Friday. At Qdoba, customers wearing school colors will get free chips, and at Cold Stone Creamery they will get a free “Like-It” size ice cream with one topping from 4 to 7 p.m.

College In Colorado expects more than 500 businesses, schools and organizations across the state to participate in College Friday.

CSU alum brings Ram spirit to The Masters

Martin Laird, who graduated from CSU in business administration, became the first Ram to play in the prestigious Masters golf tournament.

Yesterday Laird finished the first day of the tournament tied for 64th place at two over par.

The pro golfer is the first CSU player to qualify for the PGA Tour, win a PGA Tour event, qualify for the British Open and qualify for the PGA Championship.

“It’s been amazing to watch his progress as a player,” said CSU golf coach Jamie Bermel, who brought Laird to Fort Collins from Scotland in 2000.
*
Larimer County Sheriff’s Office prepares for gov. shutdown*

In the event of a government shutdown today, the Larimer County Sherriff’s Office will be prepared to provide aide to the eastern side of Rocky Mountain National Park, the Sherriff’s Office announced in a press release yesterday.

Should the shutdown take place, national parks will suffer closures.

“Those threatened closures will have a negative effect on Larimer County, especially the town of Estes Park, which is a gateway to the Rocky Mountain National Park,” the press release said.

The press release also stated that Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith is prepared to provide law enforcement and emergency services to visitors to Rocky Mountain National Park within Larimer County.

“The citizens deserve access to their national park, and the merchants who depend on the visitors can count on the Sheriff’s Office to keep the park safe,” Smith said.