Authors: Rachel Childs

The best part of waking up for Zac Crider, Jered Lish and Chris Stuberg, was Folgers in their e-mail.

The trio is among the top 10 semi-finalists competing to be the next jingle in the Folgers Jingle Competition for a chance to win $25,000 and be featured in a commercial for the popular coffee brand.

Now they are competing to be one the five finalists, all of whom will go to New York and perform in front of judges, including former American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi.

People can register and vote online for their favorite video until midnight on April 25. Each vote enters them for a chance to win a daily $100 grocery card and $10,000 at the end of the competition.

“I knew from the beginning there was great potential for the jingle to do well in this competition because every time it gets to the famous line ‘the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup,’ the hair on the back of my neck would stand up and chills would run down my arms,” said Stuberg, a graduate student who plays the cello in the jingle.

Lish, assistant residence director for Allison Hall and violinist, was told about the competition by an office manager and told Crider about the competition. The two quickly composed the jingle. Both of them play music and are members of the band The Sunshine House.
“We’re definitely rooting for (Jered),” said Housing and Dining spokesperson Tonie Miyamoto.

Lish and Crider recruited Stuberg after searching for another stringed instrument player after trying different instruments to create the jingle.

“Not a lot of other videos had that, so that gave us a unique quality to our jingle,” Crider said

After a month of waiting, Folgers sent Lish an e-mail declaring their admission into the semifinals.

“I read it like five times just to make sure I was experiencing reality because I was shocked by it,” Lish said.

Their video features the three in a living room playing their instruments while Crider sings the jingle with the iconic line “the best part of wakin’ up is Folgers in your cup.”

Admitted coffee addicts, Crider and Lish were familiar with the Folgers theme.

“When I think of Folgers and the national commercials they display I think they’re classy, and I think when we were going in to write our jingle we were trying to display Folger’s classiness,” Lish said.

The three are excited for the chance to go to New York and represent CSU and the Fort Collins community.

“We’re really just hoping that the CSU and campus population will support us in this because it would be really cool to send some CSU students to New York and represent Colorado,” Lish said.

Staff writer Rachel Childs can be reached at news@collegian.com.

To vote

• Vote online until midnight on April 25.
  • Each vote enters the competitors for a chance to win a daily $100 grocery card and $10,000 at the end of the competition.
  • Vote online or listen to the jingle at http://www.bestpartofwakinup.com/folgers-jingle-contest.