Authors: Andrew Carrera

CSU’s Associate Dean for the College of Engineering Wade Troxell was successfully reelected to Fort Collins’ city council, defeating challenger Kristin Stephens for District 4 city council representative Tuesday night.

Troxell won by 56 percent of the 5,200 ballots cast –– a result he credits to focusing on concerns relevant to residents.

“We ran a good campaign,” he said. “We focused on issues that mattered to Fort Collins, and a lot of that is really citizen centered priorities that serve the citizens and not city council.”

Members of Troxell’s family stressed that his position on Fort Collins issues is student-friendly, citing his status as a second generation CSU faculty member and city council member

His son, Graeme, who attends CSU and volunteered on the campaign, said his father “has really advocated bringing CSU into the community,” citing work with Associated Students of CSU Community Affairs Director Chase Eckerdt as an example.

“Wade has been willing to meet with me at any time I’ve requested,” Eckerdt said. “His commitment to student rights and our involvement in the community –– it really is something unique, and I look forward to continuing that next year.”

Troxell voted against the controversial “three-unrelated” city ordinance, which prohibits more than three non-family members from living with each other and “turns the city into bedroom police,” he said.

The loss surprised Stephens’ campaign manager, Jacob Beckland, who said his candidate seemed the popular choice for Fort Collins voters because she campaigned on working well with others on city council.

Beckland said students had more of a reason to vote for Stephens because she also graduated and works for CSU in the Department of Statistics. Her pro-environment stance should have attracted support from younger demographics as well, he said.

“I’m not exactly sure what happened,” he said. “I’m still proud of the campaign we ran. I’m proud of the message Kristin brought.”

Stephens could not be reached for comment on her loss.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carerra can be reached at news@collegian.com.