Authors: Matt Miller

I’m addicted to porn –– food porn.

Food porn can be described as compulsively watching television related to food or a dependence on watching a piece of meat prepared.

It’s a lifestyle that has led me to unsuccessful interventions, friends and family in tears, and it has destroyed any chance of a future that I would have otherwise had.

I could be out with my friends, but instead I’m watching the Food Network.

My life is spent foolishly indulging with other fellow addicts like Giada De Laurentiis, Anthony Bourdain, Masaharu Morimoto and Cat Cora.

They are my new family –– I’ve even been told that Adam Richman could be my 200-pound heavier twin.

I’ve tried to cut myself off, but the urges get too strong. Watching the beautiful Giada De Laurentiis cook an even more beautiful plate of pasta consumes me.
Experts have told me food porn is a disease, that I’ve lost control of my life. But still, my need for “Chopped,” “No Reservations” and “Iron Chef” are strong enough to make me neglect my responsibilities as a student, Collegian editor or productive member of society.

My symptoms are obvious: Watching 15 or more food shows a week, having easy access to television programming that involves food and living in a culture where there is high social acceptance of overeating.

But how am I supposed to change the culture I live in?

Everywhere I look there is a new food show that my disease tells me I have to watch. Whether it’s “Man Vs. Food,” “Top Chef,” “The Next Food Network Star” or even “Good Eats,” I’m constantly surrounded with food porn programming.

I can’t even try to watch TV without seeing an ad for McDonald’s, KFC, Wendy’s or Taco Bell.

We live in a culture more addicted to eating than I am to watching food shows.

The culture we live in places a high priority on having low prices and huge portions rather than quality or health.

I mean, we are the birthplace of McDonald’s and almost any other fast food “restaurant.”

Maybe that is why overeating invades our lives through television, advertising and daily routine.

Maybe that is why food porn is even a phrase in the U.S.

Our stomachs take priority over balancing our nation’s budget and our unemployment crisis.

But our love for food shows isn’t a problem. Food helps us explore other cultures. Nothing else on television looks deep into the identity of other people around the world. Food delves deep into our past just as much as our future. How we became who we are and where our priorities lie.

The Whopper, the Big Mac and the Cheesy Crunchy Gordita might rule in our stomachs, but at least TV shows about food have the chance to give us a tiny glimpse into other stomachs around the world.

Entertainment Editor Matt Miller is a junior journalism major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to verve@collegian.com.

Check these out:

• “My Jeans” –– If you liked Rebecca Blacks’ “Friday” then you will also be interested in “My Jeans” by Jenna Rose.
  • The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart –– “Belong”