Authors: Cameron Tafoya

The dorms are already crowded for the class of 2014. But for the class of 2015, faculty and staff on campus are worrying about what will happen with an overabundance of incoming freshmen.

With an estimated 26,000 students attending CSU next year, at least one-third of them will live on campus. So, where will the university put all the new students?

Tonie Miyamoto, director of Housing and Dining Services is very concerned about this problem. But she doesn’t think there will be a problem with housing in the near future.

“We don’t need to move students off-campus,” Miyamoto said.

She explained that after the first week, there are “no-show” students and students who drop out after the first few classes, so there will eventually be openings.

The average amount of no-shows is about 50 students a year, which frees up 50 beds.

Jim Dolak, executive director of Housing and Dining Services, has a solution to fit all the students in next year. One way he mentioned is converting study rooms in residence halls into dorm rooms.

“This has all of the amenities of a typical student room,” Dolak said. “They were more desirable, they were usually bigger. Students asked to stay in those rooms.”

At one time there was a mass population of incoming freshmen, but in order to give each student an equal opportunity, CSU rented an old sorority and placed the extra students there until there was space in the residence halls.
There are also changes to the dorm coming for the fall of 2011.

In May, CSU will be adding a fourth floor to Parmelee Hall and continue the exterior and interior changes the university has been constructing on the older dorms.

But upperclassmen don’t have to worry; CSU will never turn a student away if there is not enough housing, Miyamoto said.
According to numbers collected last Thursday, 679 students will be returning to on-campus housing next year, a decrease from
last year’s 845 students.

Many current students will be checking their applications this week to make sure that everything is set up and perfect for their housing situation next year.

To save more room this year for upperclassmen, there will not be as many double rooms –– rooms that have been modified as singles –– to fit the growing student population.

Chase Eckerdt, a communications studies major and a member of the Associated Students of CSU, can see the effects of the growing population, on-and-off-campus.

Eckerdt said there are four problems going on with the tough housing market and the growing amount of CSU students: taking rooms off the market, high population of students, lack of student housing and more people are renting than buying.
With this problem, not only can students not live on-campus, but they also are forced to travel out into the city causing problems with the neighborhood they move into.

Most of the housing in Fort Collins is too expensive for the average college student, especially when moving farther away from campus.

“If I was making a policy, I would have stuff that the average student can afford,” Eckerdt said “There is a continuing high demand of dorms, it is still just a drop in the bucket for larger needs but we are still building.”
_
Staff writer Cameron Tafoya can be reached at news@collegian.com_