Authors: Allison Sylte

In the midst of historical unrest in the Muslim world, CSU will host former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Tuesday, April 19 in Moby Arena to discuss her experiences as America’s chief diplomat, as well as her thoughts on current world events, foreign policy and education.

The lecture will be hosted by the Monfort Family Foundation as part of the CSU Monfort Lecture series, a series funded by an up to $200,000 yearly gift from the foundation that serves to bring in multiple guest speakers per year, targeting people of international distinction.

“The Monfort Lecture Series brings leaders of international distinction to and intellectual environment of the university,” said Matthew Helmer, the executive director of CSU events, in an e-mail to the Collegian.

“Dr. Rice’s experience working at the top levels of the U.S. government certainly qualify her for this function, and her perspective on current world events is expected to be insightful and timely, given her recent tenure as Secretary of State,” he added.

Admission is free, however advance tickets are required. Tickets are available at the Campus Box Office located in the Lory Student Center, with a limit of four per person. The box office is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
There are currently 600 tickets left for the event and according to Brent Waugh, the assistant director for communications for CSU Events, these tickets are set to run out by the end of the week.

“Most of the events sell out pretty quickly, and this one is no exception,” Waugh said. “It’s definitely on par with events that we’ve had in the past.”

Doors will open at Moby at 5:30 p.m. with the lecture beginning at 7 p.m. Flash photography and video recording will not be allowed at any time during the lecture, which will be followed by a moderated question and answer session.
Rice, who received her doctorate from the University of Denver, served as the 66th Secretary of State from January 2005 to 2009 and was the second Secretary of State under President George W. Bush.

During her tenure, Rice was responsible for trying to implement “transformational diplomacy,” a policy she referred to as “working with many partners around the world and building and sustaining democratic, well-governed states that will respond to the needs of people and conduct themselves responsibly in the democratic system.”

Since leaving office, she has served as a professor of political science at Stanford University, as a Thomas and Barbara Stephenson Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution and has written an autobiography detailing her childhood growing up in racially segregated Birmingham, Ala.

“Lectures like these are a good experience,” Waugh said. “You get to see high profile people talking about things like are applicable to students and that students and the community are interested in.”

News Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.