Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU track and field team dominated the Fum McGraw Triangular Saturday, sweeping both UNC and Wyoming in men’s and women’s competition. The meet was scored as multiple dual meets between all three teams. The Rams picked up first place finishes in 13 events while coming in second in several more.

“I loved the attitude of the Rams, really supportive of teammates, I thought we competed aggressively,” head coach Brian Bedard said. “I thought we had standout performances in all of the major areas.”

Senior Jake Keyser won the men’s 1500-meter run, chasing down Matt Petrocci, who was running unaffiliated, in the home stretch.

“Last weekend I got beat in the last 100 meters of my race,” Keyser said. “So today going into the last 200 I was working on my finish.”

Sophomore Elizabeth Johnson scored personal records in all three throwing events (discus, shot-put, and hammer throw) while placing in the top-six in all three events. Freshman Jessica Sharboro placed fourth in the discus with a throw of 51.64 meters, which, according to Bedard, will likely qualify her for the first round of the NCAA championships.
Freshmen duo Allison Forrester and Amy Medina tied for first place in the women’s high jump, both clearing 5 1/2 feet on the day. Forrester previously won the event at the CSU-Pueblo Open.

The weather stayed warm and sunny for the entire meet up until when the athletes started to leave, to the point where the public address announcer called it the greatest weather in history for a first outdoor track meet.

“It’s huge for an early spring meet to have the warm weather, that sure helps everyone’s attitudes from the officials all the way down,” Bedard said.

Sophomore Ryan Wasilawski parlayed the warm weather into a second place finish in the triple jump and a win in the long jump. Wasilawski has won first place in one of his events at every meet so far this outdoor season. “It’s nice, you gotta have consistency,” he said. “That’s what everybody’s looking for.”

CSU will split its team up again for the following weekend. Approximately 40 athletes will travel to the Sun Angel Classic at Arizona State University on April 9, while the rest of the team is heading to the CU Invitational in Boulder on April 8 and 9.

Track and Field Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski at sports@collegian.com.