Authors: Anna Baldwin and Eugene Daniels

By Anna Baldwin

I did all my research this week multiple nights while out on the town. I felt like I would get the most honest answers.
A drunken mind speaks a sober heart.

I wanted to know every way Facebook could affect a relationship.

I talked to strangers, friends, friends of friends, bartenders, both men and women, young and old.

It’s easy to ask people about a subject everyone knows about. Even my friend’s grandma checks on her Farmville animals after her morning coffee.

At first I casually interjected my questions into conversations.

I was so entertained by the answers that I began walking up to people and asking them straight out. Basically I tried to be upfront and loud — like Eugene.

I heard stories about how Facebook creates jealously and stalking. It causes mistrust and insecurity.

It’s the same old tales ­­–– a girlfriend sees something on her boyfriend’s profile that makes her jealous. For instance, a wall post from an ex-girlfriend or a photo of him at a party when he said he was at church.

I heard how relationships are broken because one of the two won’t change their relationship status from “single.” It’s trivial things.

One guy told me how he found out his new girlfriend had been stalking his ex-girlfriend’s profile and trying to be like her.

The gold medal answer was from a girl who told me about a friend who found out after three years that her boyfriend had two Facebook accounts.

On one account he was her perfect boyfriend. The other one was where he had all hot girls as friends. It was the account he was listed as single and scandalous photos were tagged.
A friend told me how she thought Facebook takes the mystery out of relationships.

It’s so easy to stalk a person’s profile before a blind date and learn the guy’s favorite movie is “Titanic.” Creepy.

There are no exciting surprises.

These days, the phrase, “well, I saw when I stalked his profile” is thrown around more than meaningful talking.

No one can escape the curse. I really didn’t hear any positive feedback. The only way to survive is to go live in a cave. Or maybe less drastically, not have an account, like my editor.

By Eugene Daniels

Before I start the column, I would like to address Anna –– I am not loud, you are just a field mouse who sneaks around all quiet and stuff. Actually, I’m loud.

Anyway, on to social networking.

Technology is an amazing thing. But the best part is the immediacy of it. If we want someone to know what we are thinking, we update our status or put it on Twitter. (I just can’t bring myself to say, “tweet,” which sounds so nasty, and I am a wholesome gentleman).

One thing that our generation fails to do sometimes is take responsibility for our actions. Let’s stop saying things like “Facebook ruins relationships.”

It’s not Facebook, it’s all you untrusting people who ruin relationships.

If you check your significant other’s Facebook profile just to see what they are up to, then you need to check yourself into the hospital. You’re just looking for trouble in your relationship.

I talked to some people as well –– I heard many of the same responses.

One guy told me his girlfriend broke up with him because of what someone else wrote him on his wall!

What someone else wrote …

He didn’t even respond to the post, but she said he didn’t delete it so he clearly solicited the comment. Crazy broad.
A young lady told me that she created a fake Facebook just to chat with her boyfriend to see if he would cheat on her with “the other girl.” That’s entrapment.

Now who in the hell told her that was a great idea? It may be the weirdest thing I have ever heard.

And for all you men and women who think that a relationship is only official when it’s “Facebook official?” You need to do me a favor.

Take your fist, ball it up and punch yourself right in the face.

Stop being childish. I’ve said it before: Facebook brings too many people in your business. Relationships are for two people, not all your Facebook buddies.

I don’t see a problem with telling close friends and family but if you feel like it has to be Facebook official to mean that you actually care about each other, you should do the same thing as Sarah Palin and jump off a cliff.

So again, Facebook is fine, as long as you’re not creepy, jealous or untrusting.

Anna Baldwin is a senior journalism major, and Eugene Daniels is a junior journalism major. Mars vs. Venus appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.