Ready to relay for a cause

Authors: Jason Pohl

Katie Whitbeck’s father died when she was 15 after a two-year battle with multiple myeloma, a form of cancer within bone marrow. Since then, she has worked to make a difference and raise money and awareness for cancer research through events, including the Relay for Life.

“You have to get up and do something about it … you learn really quickly how terrible cancer is for everyone involved,” Whitbeck said.

This has led her to coordinate with others in an effort to get as many groups as possible together with a common goal: making a difference.

Her passion to fight cancer and make a difference has inspired Whitbeck in a big way. As of Monday, she has raised upward of $1,500 toward the annual American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

Whitbeck is part of the Dean’s Student Leadership Council team within the College of Business. They have a team goal of raising $5,000 through donations and participation in events such as the College of Business kickball tournament and CB and Potts after-party April 29.

“The College of Business’s motto is ‘Making a Difference.’ I think people forget this, but the Relay is a great way for us to really make a difference,” Whitbeck said.

This is the fifth year for the Relay for Life at CSU, and as of Monday afternoon, 53 teams had raised more than $14,800 for cancer research, according to the event’s continuously updating website.

“The really great thing is that people of all different beliefs, cultures and ages come together for a common cause,” said Event Chair Kaitlin Simpson.

The event brings college students together to help raise money for cancer research and scholarships. In addition, it supports students who are currently in the fight against cancer as well as their family and friends, Simpson said in e-mails to the Collegian.

The Relay for Life began in 1985 with one man’s 24-hour walk
around a track in Washington to raise money for cancer research. Since then, it has grown to more than 3.5 million people around the world who spend up to 24 hours circling a track in an effort to raise money and educate the public.

“Our goal for this year is 70 teams. The sooner teams register, the more time they have to raise money,” Simpson said.

The last day to register online is April 26 for $10 per person.

“The biggest issue is making people realize where their money goes,” Whitbeck said. “Even if you can’t donate money, simply putting your name behind something says ‘I really believe in what you’re doing.’”

Staff writer Jason Pohl can be reached at news@collegian.com.

get involved
When: April 30 and May 1
Time: 6 p.m.-8 a.m.
Where: CSU Student Recreation Center
How to help: Visit csurelayforlife.org for more information
Deadline to register: April 26 online