Keeping it fresh

Authors: Lianna Salva

Two days of lights and glamour will conclude tonight at 7 p.m. with the finale of the annual capstone fashion show, Fash(n)Fresh, in the Main Ballroom of the Lory Student Center.  

This event will feature 15 graduating seniors from the Department of Design and Merchandising who will showcase their designs.

Students of the department’s Apparel Design Production course chose the title of the show hoping to focus on fresh fashion looks, according Frances Willis, chairperson for Hospitality and Promotion.

Eight awards will be given to participating seniors whose designs were judged by department faculty and staff.

The categories for the awards vary from best historic inspiration to best target market to best in show, Willis said. The winners will be announced tonight.  

The Fash(n)Fresh show will offer a more contemporary style for the audience.  

“This show is going to be more digital for the sets and environment,” said Department Internship Coordinator and lecturer Carol Engle-Enright.

Senior apparel and merchandising major and participant Emily Woods will feature evening wear for 35- to 45-year-old women.
“I had to make sure my design was elegant and feminine,” Woods said. “I did a lot of market research to see what these women felt comfortable in.”

Woods also learned high end and couture style, which she has incorporated in part of her design with hand sewing and beading.

Each of the senior designers will show five designs, said Hospitality and Promotions member Sam Dole.

Last night was the first showing of these designs. The winners of the Tommy Hilfiger T-shirt design competition were also announced.

This competition was available to all department majors and received 52 submissions, according to Engel-Enright.  

Ten of those submissions were sent to New York where Tommy Hilfiger executives chose the top three winning designs.  

Senior apparel and merchandising major Nigel Joseph won both first and second place while senior apparel and merchandising major Athena Caddel took third.

Door prizes will be given away to audience members and include gift baskets, restaurant certificates and two front-row Nuggets tickets, Dole said.

Tickets can be purchased at the Lory Student Center ticket office or at CSUtix.com.

Old Town’s Mama Said Sew, Williams Clothiers in Old Town and Farmers Couture in Denver are sponsoring the event.

Staff writer Lianna Salva can be reached at verve@collegian.com.