Authors: Erin Udell

After one week of intensive fund raising to raise awareness for the destructive tsunami and earthquakes in Japan, the CSU Japan Club is now trying to focus on getting the Fort Collins community involved in their efforts.

“Last week was really, really intensive. We were here everyday,” said Japan Club president Lindsey Butler. “That was really our big push to raise awareness around campus.”

With an ultimate goal of donating $25,000 to the Colorado Japanese Language Education Association, the club has raised more than $4,000.

“We’re all Japanese right now,” Butler said. “It’s important as fellow human beings to help each other in times of need.”
This week, the club’s donation box will be located in the Asian/Pacific American Cultural Center, Lory Student Center room 212.

Since last week, the club has been at several campus locations giving students the chance to show their support by donating money, making paper cranes and signing a Japanese flag.

The Japan Club is also promoting cultural awareness by hosting its annual spring event, Gateway to Asia, on April 2 from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the LSC. The event is free and open to the public.

Along with selling t-shirts to benefit the relief efforts, the event will also include calligraphy lessons, a Japanese Tea ceremony and a traditional Chinese Lion Dance performance.

“Something horrible happened but look at what we can expose people to by looking beyond the disaster,” Butler said.

In addition to the A/PACC donation site, the foreign language department will also be collecting contributions in Clark Building C on Tuesday.

“In our time at CSU we’ve met a lot of Japanese people, and we all have ties to Japan,” said Danielle Egeler, the secretary of the Japan Club. “During Spring Break we were all so worried about our friends and their families so this was the least we could do.”

To make donations, volunteer or find out about upcoming Japan Club events, students are encouraged to send an e-mail to japanclub.csu@gmail.com or visit
www.facebook.com/csujapanclub for more information.

Senior Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Help relief efforts
What the Japan Club is doing:
So far, the club members have raised $4,000 of their $25,000 goal.
How to get involved:
The annual Gateway to Asia event will give students and Fort Collins residents the chance to buy t-shirts, donate money to the Japanese relief efforts and learn about Asian culture.
To volunteer, send an e-mail to the Japan Club at japanclub.csu@gmail.com.