Authors: Robert Lowery

Albert Einstein once said, “if A equals success, then the formula is A = X Y Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keeping your mouth shut.”

(The “Z” variable of this formula is very important, especially when dealing with the police, R.A.’s and other enforcers around campus.)

Be Smart.
Do Not Lie. Think before you say or do anything. Anything you say will be used against you. This is no joke; it is very real. Don’t give the police anything to use against you. Respectfully decline to answer questions. You are much better off saying as little as possible.

Be Nice.
Do Not Lie. If you are polite, things will go much better for you. It really is simple as it sounds, and important as Mom always says. Don’t argue, don’t react and don’t complain. Save that for Monday when you talk to us (182 Lory).

Be Quiet.
Do Not Lie. People often think they have only two choices: confess or lie. You have the right to remain silent. Use it. The powerful protection of our right to remain silent has existed for more than 200 years, and for good reason…
Here are some other things to keep in mind as well:

Do Not Drive After Drinking. The legal limit is .02 under 21 and .05 for everyone else.

Using a fake ID is a crime. Several crimes in fact, which have landed some CSU students in jail and many more with permanent criminal records.

If an officer calls or visits asking to talk to you, come see us FIRST.

It is often a good idea to answer the door when the police knock, but you are never required to answer your door any more than you are required to answer the telephone.

When an officer says “I need you to (do something)” it is often a request, not an order.

Ask: “Do I have to?” You’d be surprised how often the answer is actually “No.”

This is true for, among other things, VOLUNTARY statements, VOLUNTARY roadside sobriety tests and VOLUNTARY portable breath tests.

If you are accused of MIP and had NOTHING to drink, ask for a portable breath test!

Otherwise, NEVER blow into a Portable Breath Test, especially if you’re driving.

If you are arrested for DUI, you must choose a breath test at the station or a blood test (or lose your license), but a driver should never blow into a PBT! Ever.

Always use the restroom. Public Urination can quickly become Public Indecency or Indecent Exposure. Don’t risk becoming a sex offender. You can hold it.

Never run from the police. When they catch you things will be much worse.

Never exchange money or alcohol in the parking lot of a liquor store.

The police are watching.

Never buy alcohol for a stranger in a liquor store parking lot.

The police are watching …

Never carry any sort of beverage container in your hand walking down the street.

The police ARE watching …

Don’t be intimidated, keep your cool, and follow my three rules: Be Smart, Be Nice and Be Quiet. If you are charged with a crime, come immediately to Student Legal Services: 182 Lory Student Center. Bring your CSU ID to make an appointment. If you were Smart, Nice and Quiet, we will have a much better take on your case, every time.

Rob Lowrey is a staff attorney for CSU Student Legal Service. Student Legal Services is located in the Lory Student Center, room 182.