Authors: Travis Todd

The CSU softball team split a doubleheader on Saturday with in-state rival Northern Colorado. The Rams dropped the first contest, 7-5, before beating the Bears, 9-5, in the second game. The 14 runs produced were the most for CSU in a single day since March 5.

Freshman Alexa Cash started the first game for the Rams giving up seven earned runs in six innings. Chelsea Biglow got the offense started for the Rams with a two-run home run in the first inning.

“For being only a freshman, (Biglow) keeps getting better and better, and that’s exciting for us,” said CSU head coach Jen Fisher. Fisher continues to preach the importance of fundamentals and getting better everyday by minimizing mistakes.

CSU (7-27) came roaring back with nine runs in the second game. None were as big as a three-run homer hit by senior shortstop Caitlan Stem in the top of the third inning.

“That was really big for us,” Fisher said. “We’ve been working really hard on offense all year, so it was great to see Stem get that.”

Stem got her first of four RBI on the day in the first inning when she hit a triple scoring Morghan Doughty. The Rams managed a run in every inning except for the fourth and sixth. Sophomore catcher Brittany Palish added 3 RBI while Doughty and senior center fielder Ivory Allen rounded out the scoring with one RBI each.

Junior pitcher Kelli Eubanks got her third start of the season, pitching three innings and allowing two runs and four hits. Eubanks is still under a pitch count after returning from an injury to her throwing arm.

“She did really well,” said Fisher, of Eubanks. “We’re just very happy with her each time she gets to throw. There’s a big mental piece as well as physical, but she’s handling it very well.”

FIsher praised the leadership Eubanks continues to show both on and off the mound. “We’re hoping the other kids will feed off that and try to emulate that,” she said.

The Rams now have a two-week break before opening Mountain West Conference play. CSU will face UNLV at Ram Field in Fort Collins on April 8. Fisher hopes to use the next couple weeks to continue bringing the team along. The first-year head coach is encouraged by the progress but knows there is still plenty of work to do.

According to Fisher, that work starts by practicing with the mentality of paying attention to detail and getting better in every facet of their game.

Softball Beat Reporter Travis Todd can be reached at sports@collegian.com.