Community Briefs for 03/25

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Franktown wildfire causes evacuations

After a 1,600-acre wildfire began Thursday afternoon near Franktown, 8,500 residents in the surrounding Pinery and Timbers subdivisions were evacuated.

Many of the evacuees were allowed to return as of 6 p.m. The evacuations still remained in effect for an area bordered by Colorado Highway 86 on the south Bayou Gulch Road to the north and Colorado Highway 83.

As of 7 p.m. Thursday, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said the fire is 50 percent contained.

The origin of what is being called the Burning Tree Fire is unknown. About 150 firefighters were fighting the fire after it was reported with a 911 call at about 1 p.m.
*
Wake up early for cuisine on campus*

Don’t hit the snooze button today.

Instead head to the Aspen Grille on the top floor of the Lory Student Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., where Guest Chef Tyson Holzheimer of Snooze will cook brunch.

Reservations can be made today between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. by calling 970-491-7006.

The first plate will consist of a mini breakfast burrito with green chili and ranchero sauce. The second plate is a ham benedict or tuscano benedict. The third plate is a choice of pineapple upside down, chocolate chip or cinnful pancake.

The price is $9.99 and includes a non-alcoholic beverage and gratuity. Gluten free options are available.