Authors: Colleen McSweeney

Hip-hop aficionados planning on attending the Crewz Control dance show tonight will now have to wait until a later date that has not yet been determined to receive their dance fix.

Crewz Control, which is sponsored by the Association for Student Activity Programming (ASAP), was originally scheduled for today at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theatre. However, it has been postponed due to scheduling conflicts with some of the performers.

ASAP held open dance auditions for two weeks in an attempt to find multiple student dance crews to compete in the Crewz Control show.

Despite the extended audition time, only a few crews showed up to the auditions. And of
those, only one would had been able to perform at tonight’s show, said Michael Redkey, Marketing Manager for Special Events at ASAP.

Since not enough crews auditioned to make Crewz Control; a “dance off” type of event, ASAP had to change their original plan.

“It ended up being a show with one amateur and one professional dance crew,” Redkey said. The professional crew would have been The Beat Freaks, best known for their second place finish on the third season of MTV’s “Amerca’s Best Dance Crew.”

But, within the past few days unexpected scheduling conflicts arose involving the amateur dance crew, forcing ASAP to postpone the event.

“The scheduling conflicts were all very unexpected and last-minute,” said ASAP Concert Coordinator Loren Martinez.

Some of the dancers felt unprepared to perform at the level needed for the show, said Krystal Kelley, Coordinator for Special Events at ASAP. “What we needed, they wouldn’t do,” Kelley said.

Due to the postponement, The Beat Freaks are not confirmed to return for the future Crewz Control performance, but Kelley assures that another big name dance crew will headline the show.

ASAP also plans on finding additional amateur dance crews to perform in the postponed show.
No new date has been confirmed for Crewz Control, but Kelley says April 30, May 2 and May 5 are possibilities.

Anyone who has already purchased tickets for the event and will not be able to attend the new performance date can go to the iBox in the Lory Student Center for a refund.

Amid the complications, ASAP remains optimistic about Crewz Control.

“We’re sad that it got postponed, but we’re excited to make it even better for the future date,” Kelley said.
_
Staff writer Colleen McSweeney can be reached at verve@collegian.com. _