Authors: Jordyn Dahl

The one no vote cast against the sexual assault fee increase that passed the Student Fee Review Board Monday night was turned into an abstention due to a rule in the SFRB bylaws.

Board member and the Associated Students of CSU Sen. Joe Eden had voted no to the sexual assault fee increase but failed to submit a reason for casting his no vote to the SFRB chair within 24 hours, which is required by the bylaws.

Eden said he didn’t have a computer before the 24 hours was up so wasn’t able to put his explanation into writing.

“I probably wouldn’t have done it anyways. Mine was the only one (no vote), and I completely disagree with the bylaws,” Eden said. “I think everyone who voted yes should justify why they voted to raise student fees.”

The fee increase would go to the Women’s Gender Advocacy Center, previously called the Office of Women’s Programs, and originally passed with a vote of 12-2-1. The vote is now 12-3-0.

The other two abstentions come from SFRB Chair Eric Berlinberg who wasn’t allowed to vote due to his role as chair and Amy Slapper, a member of the board who also sat on SFRB last year.

Slapper said she knew she would be late for the meeting because of class so she submitted her no vote to ASCSU Vice President Jennifer Babos in an e-mail.

“Usually in the past they count your vote if you submit your vote early,” Slapper said. “I’m not sure why they didn’t count it.”

Although there is no rule in the SFRB bylaws stating proxy votes won’t be counted, Babos said it is a long-standing precedent.

“Proxy votes have never been allowed and haven’t allowed all year,” Babos said. “Not only that, but in the fall it was made clear that proxy voting would not be allowed.”

Slapper said she voted against the fee increase because she disagreed with making students pay more for fees with the tuition hike students are facing next year.

ASCSU President Cooper Anderson attended the discussions and tried to assure the board that SFRB had passed much larger fee increases in years past, according to Slapper.

“Cooper was there during the discussion, and he said it was for one of their campaign promises,” she said. “I remember voting for Cooper and Jenny, and I don’t remember them talking about increasing fees.”

The fee will go before the ASCSU Senate on April 20 as part of the Long Bill, the proposed student fee increase package, where Senate will get a chance to vote yes or no for the increase.

News Editor Jordyn Dahl can be reached at news@collegian.com.