Authors: Rachel Childs

The Student Recreation Center is celebrating the end of sweat, tears and sore muscles –– not for CSU’s student workout aficionados, but instead for the construction workers who have labored for months over the newest Rec Center renovations.

A grand opening will be held in the Recreation Center main lobby today at 4:30 p.m. to admire the 175,000 square-foot student-funded $32 million project that took two years to complete.

CSU Provost and Executive Vice President Rick Miranda, Associated Students of CSU President Cooper Anderson and Vice President Jennifer Babos, Vice President of Student Affairs Blanche Hughes and various staff members will speak about Campus Recreation’s history and their thoughts on the renovation.

After the ceremony, listeners can partake in cake and snacks at the reception at 5:15 p.m. in the meeting rooms adjacent to the lobby. Simultaneously, staff will hold tours to show students the different aspects of the building.

“I’m mostly excited about the pool,” said Recreation Center employee Rachel Griess.

The indoor pool area will be available for viewing, but is anticipated for general use in early April 2011, due to equipment testing.

Once opened, the section will be complete with a four-lane lap pool, climbing wall, lazy river, sauna, 35-person spa, steam room, “zero-depth” area with fountains and spray devices and a shallow area for indoor sports.

“If you think the main building is good to look at, wait until you see the pool,” said Executive Director of Campus Recreation Judy Muenchow.

Pre-renovation, the center had issues of overcrowding, so much so that students began using off-campus gyms, according to Muenchow.

Now students can scale the two 38-foot climbing towers, sweat in four new fitness rooms and blend a smoothie in a snack bar near the door.

“This place is awesome. Everyone should take advantage of it,” said junior psychology major Kat Butler.

Muenchow said the expansion has brought an increase in student use of the building and facilities with little congestion.

The first phase of the building opened spring 2010, but now that everything is finished, the grand opening is a dedication rather than a door-opening.

“Because it’s a student fee-funded facility, and the students of CSU have made this dream possible. I encourage everyone to come to the grand opening and enjoy some cake while they’re at it,” Muenchow said.

Staff writer Rachel Childs can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Attend the opening

What: Campus Recreation Center Grand Opening
When: Today at 4:30 p.m.
Where: Campus Recreation Center main lobby
Food and drink will be provided

A breakdown

• Cost: $32 million
  • Size: 175,000 square feet

*Pool Additions: *

• 35-person spa
  • 12-foot climbing wall
  • Sauna
  • Steam room
  • Lazy river current channel
  • “Zero-depth” activity area
  • 4-lane lap pool