Community briefs for 03/23

Authors: Collegian Staff Reports

Autism Symposium at CSU today

Today and Thursday is CSU’s first autism symposium with keynote speaker Temple Grandin. The event is being held in order to address the growing importance of discussion about autism on college campuses.

The symposium is aimed at engaging parents, professors and university advisors to give students the best opportunity to succeed.

Grandin will speak at 9:15 a.m. in the Lory Student Center Ballroom.

Ranked voting on ballot in FoCo

An ordinance is on this year’s ballots that will consider ranked voting, also known as instant runoff voting in Fort Collins.

Ranked voting only declares a winner in an election –– if an election has more than three candidates –– when the elected official has won a majority of the vote.
Fort Collins’ Election Day is April 5, but mail-in-ballots have already been sent out.

Poudre school district to save

Statewide budget cuts have hit K-12 education hard. However, with the help of CSU researchers, Poudre School District will save roughly $1 million.

Jennifer Cross, an assistant sociology professor, has led a research team to help schools in the district change their energy habits to reduce costs with a conservative-orientated approach and “change in the mindset.”

Poudre school district spends 37 percent less on energy expenses compared to any other school district in Colorado, according to a CSU press release.

“PSD is a sustainability leader because it made a commitment to sustainability and underwent a complete organizational transformation that began with adopting a sustainability mission that integrated care for financial resources, care for the planet and care for kids and learning,” Cross said.