Authors: Darin Atteberry

Spring has sprung. Spring break has come and gone. The birds are singing, and flowers are peeking up out of the ground. Final exams can’t be far behind (sorry, bad joke). This time of year there is always a lot going on around the community and the Colorado State University campus.

First off, congratulations to you all for CSU being designated a Silver Level Bicycle Friendly University by the League of American Bicyclists. This national award celebrates the University’s tremendous commitment and partnership with City of Fort Collins to make the community a great place for bicyclists. This is an important part of what makes our community so special. We will continue working with you all to make cycling a safe, fun, affordable, and effective way to travel around our town.

More sure signs of spring are all the road construction zones you’ll soon see popping up around town. There will be a number of road improvement projects in the downtown area starting in April. The biggest, most impactful project will be the repaving College Avenue between Mulberry and Laporte Avenue, beginning in mid-May. We’ll do the majority of this work at night to minimize impacts to traffic and commerce. This might pose some challenges for your night time trips, but we will have plenty of signage and alternate routes to help navigate the closures. The project will be complete by mid-June.

Additional downtown projects will repair sidewalks, improve signal detection for bicyclists, and add bike lanes on Mountain Avenue. More information about these downtown projects can be found online at fcgov.com/downtownimprovements. Other major street maintenance projects that you will notice include repaving key parts of Shields Street, Horsetooth, and Lemay. You can find up-to-date information about all of the City road construction projects at fcgov.com/fctrip.

Thanks to your Keep Fort Collins Great tax dollars, it’s going to be a very busy construction season. Remember, please be patient and slow down in the construction zones. It will be well worth the wait when complete.

Finally, as the weather warms spring parties become more frequent. So, I ask that we all do our part to prevent conflicts with neighbors. Please party responsibly and safely, and also be considerate of others nearby.  Get to know your neighbors in advance and let them know of party plans. Give them your phone number to contact you first in case they feel the party is getting out of control. Understand any HOA covenants, and handle any problems that may arise politely.  Finally, consider registering your party with the Party Registration Program.  Starting April 1, you can register parties at CSU’s office of Off Campus Life. Should Fort Collins Police Service receive a noise complaint, the registered party host will be contacted and warned to break up their party. By acting on the warning, students can avoid a noise violation which can result in a fine of up to $1,000 and is considered a criminal misdemeanor.  Get more details on this program and other responsible partying tips at ocl.colostate.edu.

With the semester winding down, I want to again thank you all for helping to make Fort Collins such a tremendous place to live. CSU students, faculty and staff enrich our community in so many ways. From contributions to our culture, music, and arts scene to your important role in the local workforce and economy, Fort Collins is a better place thanks to your energy and spirit.  Happy spring!

Darin Atteberry is the City Manager of Fort Collins.