Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It is scary and somewhat humbling to see a highly developed nation like Japan reduced to fields of debris and destruction.

Often wee see disaster-stricken areas in developing nations such as the earthquake in Haiti, drug-violence in Mexico and a tsunami in Indonesia.

Our hearts go out to the victims of the earthquake and tsunami, and much like hurricane Katrina in 2005, it allows us to remember that we can simply be powerless to such devastation, but we can prepare ourselves.

As a country we can ready ourselves as much as possible with the proper regulation, planning and genuine concern for our surrounding environment.

In the wake of the destruction in Japan, it is known that building regulation and code successfully implemented preventing building collapse and saved many lives during the initial earthquake.

People want to live around water and on coastal areas. The western portion of the U.S. is prone to earthquakes and volcanoes, residing in the ring of fire. Safety regulations, warning centers and studies in field are crucial to saving lives.

Unfortunately, they are not issues of importance, until a disaster occurs. It is worth noting that 2011 proposed budget cuts for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration –– the center whose primary objective is to warn the nation of tsunami –– will see a $1.2 billion decrease.

Money spent today can save lives and won’t leave us wondering, what if?