Authors: Jason Berlinberg

Matthew McConaughey’s inconsistent career has been highlighted by such gems as “Dazed and Confused” and “Lone Star,” but has also been marred by a slew of flops.

In his latest film “The Lincoln Lawyer,” McConaughey returns to form as Los Angeles defense attorney Mickey Haller, a man with no moral compass out to work for the highest bidder.

Haller defends a wide array of L.A. scum, including a shady Beverly Hills playboy (Ryan Phillippe) who gets locked up for rape and attempted murder. What begins as a seemingly ordinary case becomes more complicated and more personal than Haller could have imagined.  

The film boasts an exceptional cast around its leads, with Marisa Tomei playing Haller’s pugnacious ex-wife and Willam H. Macy as the private investigator helping with Haller’s case. Bryan Cranston of “Breaking Bad” fame and John Leguizamo also put in solid performances.

“The Lincoln Lawyer” is a promising sign of McConaughey’s resurgence in the industry, and gives the hope that he is still fully capable as an actor. Although his patented smug routine is still here, it actually works to establish a well-rounded character.

He takes this unconventionally serious role and with the help of a strong supporting cast, provides a solid piece of entertainment to ring in the spring movie season.

Be sure to look out for director Brad Furman’s future work. He has only done two feature films but he has shown that he’s got potential.

Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com and can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonberlinberg.