Authors: Jason Berlinberg

Editors Note: Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg went to Campus MovieFest Tuesday night at CSU. This is a review of the student made films that were shown at the festival.

Through the cold and calm of Tuesday night, the warmth of Hollywood spotlights shot up into the air outside of the Lory Student Center Theatre, attracting all to the Campus MovieFest.

Among gala décor and award show vibes, the theatre buzzed with talk from filmmakers and viewers alike. Touted as the world’s largest student film festival, the traveling event has given over 250,000 students across the country the chance to show off their film talent.

At CSU, the movie festival had nearly 40 film entries, 16 of which were shown at the ASAP sponsored event.

Participating student teams were given the same task: create a five-minute film in a week with the help of an Apple laptop and a digital camera.

Although the quality of movie entries varied, most of them had an engaging charm that kept them entertaining.

The first film to display this attribute was “Talk of the Town,” a well crafted musical relating two guys’ intentions to improve the world.  They go off and start fixing things — decreasing drug use by taking away a boy’s insulin, reducing pollution by supplying a man with a bike who promptly gets hit by a car — just to name a few.   

These types of gags kept everyone in the audience laughing, which is more than you can say for a lot of feature-film comedies.

Visually impressive was “Playing with fire,” a recording of people of all ages swinging ignited sticks and chains all over the place.

The production qualities allowed for the fire moves to pop off the screen, especially when multiple people were performing at the same time.

In the vein of solid feature documentaries, both “Moustache: a social exploration” and “Wood Pushers” reveal truths about intriguing subcultures.

“Moustache” investigates people’s various motivations for growing facial hair, and displays the resulting changes that occur in their lives.  The movie gets to the heart of mustache appeal, highlighting its social effects and what it says about the individual who grows it.  

“Wood Pushers” illuminates the intricacies of skateboarding culture through the impressions of employees at a local skate shop.  Through beautiful camera work and employee interviews, the audience learns that skateboarding is more than a sport.  

It is a lifestyle that allows for expression and total freedom and has grown rapidly in popularity over the years.

Calculated by the scores of judges in the audience, awards were handed out at the end of the night to the most impressive projects.

The prize for best comedy went to “Shooting Imagination,” a very creative film that tackles life’s toughest question: what should you do when you are bored?

In the case of this movie, you and your friends should pretend to start shooting the bejesus out of each other with fake guns similar to a video game brawl.  

After a lot of editing to add in some insane weapon effects, the film is extremely entertaining to watch.

The movie that bagged the award for best picture is sure to ring out to all CSU students;  “Social Justice Documentaries: Fort Collins Geese,” won the top prize.

“Fort Collins Geese” takes a sardonic animal rights stance on the underappreciated geese that reside in Fort Collins.  Complete with a student walking around campus in a goose suit, the film is very well made and cleverly funny.     

_You can check out all of the Campus Movie Fest entries online at www.campusmoviefest.com, just search for Colorado State University.
Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com and can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonberlinberg._