Awareness a worthy cause

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

The Collegian Editorial Board supports the awareness of sexual assault and interpersonal violence. The issue, thus far, has been with how the current Associated Students of CSU administration has supported the cause.

According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, college-aged women are four times more likely to be raped than any other age group, making this an important issue to address on campus. Approximately two-thirds of rapes are committed by someone the victim knows, making the issue difficult to approach. What it will take to solve this problem is a thoughtful, creative solution pushing change on a society-wide level.

One of the Editorial Board’s issues with the fee increase has been the idea of throwing money at a problem without evidence of creative problem solving. Without that problem solving in place the fee seems to be a cop out which only acts as a surface-level fix to the problem.

During the recent higher education budget crisis, all departments at the university have been facing cuts to some degree. The proposed fee would act as a stopgap for the department acting to shield the Women’s and Gender Advocacy Center from these budget cuts.

The reasoning behind this is not based on student wants but rather politicians trying to fulfill promises in the manner of least resistance by providing more money to create more positions.

ASCSU is doing the right thing by trying to further knowledge about rape and interpersonal violence, but it has just been started with a half solution rather than creative problem solving.

With this, the Collegian would like to encourage its readers to get involved in solving the widespread social problem of interpersonal violence by volunteering and learning about the causes of this problem.