Letter to the Editor

Authors: Cassie Kandyba

On March 1, a segment entitled “Cat Pranks” was published that disturbed me. I hold a deep respect for living things, and I find it disgusting that something so harsh and poorly worded could be published in a university publication. I have spent much of my time working in an animal shelter, rehabilitating cats that have been traumatized. Even “pranks” that may seem funny have long term unintended effects. Cats are extremely sensitive and intelligent creatures. Undergoing the stresses your newspaper was promoting could seriously affect a cat.

I believe that it is important for universities and institutions to practice and teach a general respect for the creatures that share our earth. It is not about of being an activist, but a matter of treating everything with kindness, and not promoting the soft-core torture of animals. These things may seem funny to someone who hasn’t owned an animal and doesn’t understand their complexities and diversity but are very scary for the victim. Cats, like many animals, show great humility when being placed in uncomfortable positions.

I truly hope that no one actually tries these pranks on their cats, but I know that lack of caring for animal wellbeing is rampant across the globe. I just wish that it would not be promoted at a school that I love and chose based on its prestigious veterinary school.

I hope the staff at the Collegian is able to make it clear that this is not advocated by CSU.

Cassie Kandyba is a freshman biology major.

Authors: Geoff Hayes

I would first like to thank Mr. Morris for his column, as well as the Collegian for publishing it, in response to last Wednesday’s ‘Spread the Word to End the Word’ campaign. The goal of the program was to raise awareness of the pain caused by use of archaic, derogatory terms to those with developmental disabilities and those who care about them. By providing further media coverage, it has provoked discussion well beyond the 24-hour event.

Mr. Morris seems to be wholly aligned with our vision of ending the use of the “r-word” as a slang term for someone acting foolishly. However, he, along with others in the CSU community, seemed to believe this movement was some type of infringement upon the highly prized American ideal of Free Speech. The pledge, which more than 3,000 students, staff, faculty, and community members took, wasn’t some type of petition to outlaw a term. The pledge was an individual promise, made to show respect to a marginalized population of incredible individuals, individuals with talents, abilities and passions, who are making contributions to our society, just like you or me.

We are truly privileged to live in a nation in which we can express ourselves free of restriction. However, this freedom comes with the responsibility of knowing our words have consequences. I encourage you to utilize this freedom to choose your words in a manner that shows respect to all, particularly those who often don’t have a voice of their own.

Geoff Hayes is a senior liberal arts major.