Authors: Nick Childs

The CSU softball team opened play at home for the season in the Colorado State Classic Friday.

The Rams (4-14) welcomed in Sacred Heart University, Santa Clara University and the Northern Illinois University for the round robin event.

CSU began the weekend against Northern Illinois on Friday morning, a game the Rams lost 19-5 in a mercy-rule shortened game.

On Saturday, the Rams didn’t fare any better, losing to Sacred Heart 12-9.

Despite the lack of wins, Rams head coach Jen Fisher is happy with the improvements of the team.

“They have quite a bit of resiliency,” she said.

That resilience was on display in the final game of the weekend when CSU defeated Santa Clara by a score of 9-4 behind a great pitching performance from freshman Desiree Laswell and outstanding offense from another freshman, Alysa Greckel.

Laswell struggled finding her command early in the game, walking ten Broncos batters in the first four innings, but found a way to work out of trouble.

“(Laswell) came out and made the other team beat her, instead of beating herself,” Fisher said.

The CSU offense erupted in the third inning behind back-to-back home runs from Chelsea Biglow and Greckel. It was at that point that the Rams took a 4-3 lead and never looked back.

Freshman catcher Emily Pohl and Greckel added home runs in the bottom of the sixth to give the team some insurance.

Greckel was outstanding at the plate throughout the tournament, hitting a total of five home runs over the weekend.

By adjusting the mechanics of her swing, the freshman said she is beginning to feel very comfortable, allowing her to put better swings on the ball.

Greckel was quick to give credit to the rest of her team, saying that wins like this show how much potential they really have.

While losing more than winning, she said, it’s easy to point fingers and start blaming each other, but that is something that this team has no interest in doing.

Coach Fisher attributes this to a strong group of freshman with great character as well as a good core of senior leadership.

The Rams ended the Colorado State Classic winning just one out of their five games.

The team will play again Friday at the USF Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Florida this weekend.

Softball Beat Reporter Nick Childs can be reached at sports@collegian.com.