Authors: Andrew Carrera

CSU Rams got to know their student government senators on Friday over two free games of bowling as part of an outreach push on behalf of the organization.

“We don’t think that we have enough student involvement,” said Sen. Joe Eden, from the College of Liberal Arts. “Since I’ve been here, this is the first outreach event of its kind.”

The Associated Students of CSU have discussed Wednesdays during Senate meetings what they feel is a lack of interest from students in what they do. Since Monday of last week, senators and executive officials have coordinated and advertised the outreach event at Chipper’s Lane from 7 to 10 p.m., which yielded more than 70 participants.

By organizing the informal get-together, student government officials aimed to break down barriers between themselves and students. This way, senators said, students would feel more comfortable walking into their office and talking to them about pressing issues.

With elections approaching, bowling with senators gave students a chance to investigate whether or not they should run for an ASCSU position.

“It think that the Senate definitely has a good start,” said Eric Berlinberg, ASCSU deputy chief of staff, about the group’s outreach efforts. “It’s going to help benefit their perceptions in the future.”

Student government officials walked around during the event and casually chatted with attendees about any questions they had about what ASCSU does.

“This was more of a social event,” said College of Engineering Sen. Taylor Jackson. “We’re going to try to do another event, and hopefully there we will talk to students about the issues.”

The unexpected turnout boosted Eden’s hopes of increased dialogue between ASCSU and students.

“I thought it was a good way for people to meet senators and better understand what we do,” he said.

As part of their marketing effort, ASCSU officials encouraged all eight college councils, which range in size from 10 to 15 members, via e-mail to attend the event.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.