Authors: Samantha Baker

Imagine having just one month to prepare for a world-premier play that could make or break your collegiate career. Now imagine doing this and never meeting the person who wrote the script.

Senior theatre major Holly Marks knows all about this.
“I liked the idea of doing a script that had never been done before,” said Marks, who directed “TA-DA!”, a play written by New York University freshman dramatic writing major Ken Greller.

The play is premiering tonight and playing Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Second Floor Large Acting Lab at the University Center for the Arts.
“When I read it I just knew I wanted to do it,” Marks said.

Greller’s play landed in the hands of Marks after e-mailing friends and colleagues about potential scripts to direct. Sean Cummings, a senior theatre major who also plays the character Huck in the play, reached out to Greller as a potential resource for playwright material.
“It turns out Facebook and Gmail can be really handy tools for theatrical collaboration,” Greller said.

“I met Sean (Cummings) at the Kennedy Center Playwriting Intensive this past summer in Washington, D.C. I adored Sean’s work, and I guess he liked mine enough to forward it on to Holly,” Greller said in an e-mail to the Collegian.

“TA-DA!” is a contemporary play following the lives of two punk-rockers and new parents, Huck and Nancy, as they learn to raise their baby and try to fit into what they feel is “normal.”

The play is based off of a 24-vignette series detailing intense emotions, raw language, drama, humor and some brightly colored mohawks.
In addition to “TA-DA!” being an academic collaboration, the show is sponsored in part by the CSU chapter of the Young Producers Organization.
The YPO started in 2008 to provide students with greater opportunities to be involved in theatre at CSU. All shows sponsored by the group are solely run, directed, produced and cast by students. In addition, YPO President Alex Romberg, a senior performing arts major, explained that today, the organization has expanded its mission further.

“YPO has grown past simply producing shows and now shines a light on the educational aspect of theatre,” Romberg said in an e-mail to the Collegian. “YPO offers workshops ,and we have weekly play readings on Sunday mornings.”

He added that the organization is open to all majors.

“TA-DA!” tackles contemporary issues through the eyes to the inner rocker in all of us.

“I think this play tells people to not change who you are for who you think you should be,” said Caty Pucci, senior theatre major and the character Nancy in the play.

Greller arrives in Fort Collins today to see for the first time his play acted out on a stage outside of his own head.

“I’m very glad that the play for its first time out is being handled by a young, smart, eager director,” Greller said, adding that he enjoys the opportunity theatre offers to travel to new places.

The show is free and open to the public, but attendees should arrive early, as seating is limited. An additional performance will be held March 31 at Hodi’s Half Note.
_
Staff writer Samantha Baker can be reached at verve@collegian.com._

Want to see the play?

• Where: Second Floor Large Acting Lab at the University Center for the Arts
  • Additional showings: Saturday at 8 p.m., at the UCA, and March 31 at Hodi’s Half Note
  • Cost: The play is free and open to the public