Authors: Travis Todd

CSU softball finally gets to play at home this weekend as it hosts the Colorado State Classic.

Northern Illinois, Sacred Heart and Santa Clara will come to Fort Collins for the tournament that will see each team play five games.

The Rams (3-11) want to build on what they’ve learned and continue to get better after a tough start to the season in which CSU played four games against ranked opponents.

“You can take these first three tournaments and get down on yourself, or you can take it as a positive,” said CSU coach Jen Fisher, who will be coaching in her first games at Ram Field. “I think they’ve really chosen to (take things positively).”With a young team, many freshmen have been asked to keep their heads up and play key roles.

Freshman pitcher Alexa Cash started three games in the circle and came on to relieve Kelsey O’Brien in another game last weekend at the Stanford Nike Classic. Despite a 0-4 record, Cash has been the most consistent pitcher for the Rams thus far.

“It’s exciting for me as a freshman, but I know coach has faith in all of our pitchers,” Cash said. “We’re all working some things out right now, so we’re excited to get everything together.”

Another freshman, Morghan Doughty, leads the team in almost every major offensive category. Doughty is hitting to the tune of 12 runs, eight RBIs and four home runs. She believes her everyday routine has brought her success at the start of her career.

“Working hard in practice and coming out everyday like it’s a game situation,” Doughty said. “I think we just need to keep putting in the time and effort and we’re going to get there.”

Last year CSU enjoyed a 10-4 record at Ram Field, and the team hasn’t had a losing record at home since 2006. The team is excited to be playing at home for the first time this season.

“Being at home will be really good for us. It’ll be a welcome change,” Fisher said.

The Rams begin the tournament today with a double-header starting with Northern Illinois at 1:30 p.m., followed by Santa Clara at 3:45 p.m.
Saturday’s games are against Sacred Heart at 11:15 a.m. and Northern Illinois at 3:45 p.m. CSU finishes with Santa Clara at 12:15 p.m. Sunday.
_
Softball Beat Reporter Travis Todd can be reached at sports@collegian.com._

Home Tournament

• Tournament: Colorado State Classic
  • Opponents: Northern Illinois, Sacred Hart and Santa Clara
  • Where: Ram Field
  • When: Friday, Saturday and Sunday