Community Briefs for 03/03

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Food shortage solutions being addressed overseas

In order to discuss the issues revolving food shortages, a team of CSU soil and crop scientists are in India to share new research and techniques that may help the expanding country.

The organizer, Raj Khosla, hopes to address the increasingly complex issues.

“Global food security is real, and CSU is willing to work collaboratively with colleagues in India and elsewhere to be instrumental in meeting this challenge of our times,” Khosla said in a press release.

Also joining will be CSU student Cassandra Collins, a senior majoring in international soil and crop science.
*
ASCSU hosts landscape architecture days*

The Associated Students of CSU announced it will put on lectures by renowned landscape architects and other educators who will address issues of sustainability among their field.

The event will be held March 28, 30, 31 and April 1 in the TILT Building.

The speakers will address sustainability in design, urban infrastructure and the growth of the profession.

The event is free and open to everyone. For more information contact Tyler Hoest at (631) 219-6582.
*
Temple Grandin keynote speaker at first Autism Symposium*

A two-day symposium on March 23 and 24 will focus on the unique needs of students with autism spectrum disorders in higher education, and Temple Grandin will provide the keynote address.

The symposium comes in advance of National Autism Awareness Month.

Efforts are to educate parents and teaching professionals to help students and staff succeed in the community.
The event will be held in the main ballroom of the Lory Student Center and will also be webcast live at www.colostate.edu/asd.
*
CIRA’s new wing named after Institute’s founder*

The Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere dedicated the building’s new wing to the founder of the program, Tom Vonder Haar.
The distinguished CSU professor helped coordinate the program in 1980 and worked as the institute’s director for 28 years.

The addition was built to support both office and research space.

“This new facility is a great testament to Dr. Vonder Haar’s long legacy of excellence in atmospheric science research at Colorado State,” said Rick Miranda, provost and executive vice president, in a press release.

“The great research productivity and outstanding national and international collaborations that come out of CIRA would not exist without the initial guidance and dedication from Tom and his crew.”